Assignment 3: Evaluating Access Control Methods
Due Week 6 and worth 50 points
Imagine you are an Information Systems Security Officer for a large federal government contractor. The CIO has recently developed concerns with the organizationâ€™s current method of access control. In order to evaluate the different methods of access control, the CIO requested that you research mandatory access control (MAC), discretionary access control (DAC), and role-based access control (RBAC), and prepare a report addressing positive and negative aspects of each access control method. Further, the CIO would like your help in determining the best access control method for the organization.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Explain in your own words the elements of the following methods of access control:
- Mandatory access control (MAC)
- Discretionary access control (DAC)
- Role-based access control (RBAC)
- Compare and contrast the positive and negative aspects of employing a MAC, DAC, and RBAC.
- Evaluate the use of MAC, DAC, and RBAC methods in the organization and recommend the best method for the organization. Explain your answer.
- Speculate the foreseen challenge(s) when the organization applies the method you chose. Suggest your strategy to address the challenge(s).
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze information security systems compliance requirements within the User Domain.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in security strategy and policy formation.
- Write clearly and concisely about topics related to information technology audit and control using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
here to view the grading rubric.