Initial Discussion Post: Choose one of the primary source documents from the topic list below. Using the primary source reading, answer the following questions. Use this template provided to complete the assignment.
- Context (25 points):
- Name of the document you chose to analyze
- Who is the creator of the document?
- Briefly describe the creator of the document. (To answer this question, you may need to use information obtained from the introduction to the source, or other course materials such as the Lib Guide, Intellipath, or your Instructor.)
- When and where was the document created? (Again, you may need to use information obtained from the introduction to the source, or other course materials such as the Lib Guide, Intellipath, or your Instructor.)
- Summary (30 points):
- Write a brief summary of the source. (What is the topic or issue of the source? What are the creator’s main points about that topic? What is one interesting thing said in this source?)
- Connections (30 points):
- How does this source connect to the Unit 4 Learning Material? How does it help you better understand that moment in American History? (Here you want to think about how this source fits into the other material for the unit in the Lib Guide, Intellipath, or your Instructor.)Does this source support what you already know about the topic? If so, how? Or does this source change the way you think about this topic? If so, how?
- Issue Today (25 points)
- Identify how the issue in the document relates to American life today. You will want to use specific examples to explain your points.
Peer Response (30 points):Respond to at least 2 of your fellow classmates with a reply of at least 100 words about their primary task response. To help you with your discussion, please consider the following questions:
- What did you learn from your classmate’s posting?
- Are there connects between their document and the unit materials that they did not mention?
- Are there connections between what you learned from your source and what you learned about their source?
- What clarification do you need regarding the posting?
Reagan, R. (1981). Remarks on Signing the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 1981 and the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, and a Question and Answer Session with Reporters. Retrieved from The American Presidency Project: https://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/documents/remarks-signing-the-economic-recovery-tax-act-1981-and-the-omnibus-budget-reconciliation
Bush, G. H. (1990). Iraqi Aggression in Kuwait. Speech before the United Nations General Assembly. (See PDF)
Buchanan, P. J. (1992). Address to the Republican National Convention. Retrieved from American Yawp http://www.americanyawp.com/reader/29-the-triumph-of-the-right/pat-buchanan-on-the-culture-war-1992/
Reagan, R. (1987). Tear Down this Wall. Retrieved from The History Place: Great Speeches Collection: http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/reagan-tear-down.htm